Friday, July 23, 2010

An interesting thought

It is a known fact that I listen to way too much Focus on the Family for my own good. I was listening to a broadcast of theirs the other day though, and heard a quote that made me stop, rewind, and hear it again (about 5 times over). I'm not sure I completely agree with this quote, so I thought I would ask for your opinions, I think it could be a cool discussion.

It's from a Focus on the Family interview with author Philip Yancey. Here's the link if you want to hear it in context.
http://listen.family.org/weekend/A000002754.cfm
On the left side of the middle section, under the heading tough questions, click on Audio: "Disappointment with God"

Here's the quote that caught my attention:
"It's very clear that there are things that happen on this earth that do not please God. Jesus told us to pray that God's will be done on earth as it is in heaven. And God's will is not always done on Earth as it is in heaven. Just read the daily newspaper, talk to people who are the victims of crime and these terrible things that are happening in the world."

I'm not sure I agree with the part where he says "And God's will is not always done on Earth as it is in heaven." I can agree with the overall fact that Earth is not like heaven, but I'm not sure about the God's will part. Isn't God's will always done? Even if something horrible happens to someone, isn't that God's will. I didn't think that anything could be outside of God's will for our lives.

Am I just completely hearing this statement wrong? Or is there some theological thing I don't understand? I'd love to hear your responses.

1 comment: