Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Over halfway there!

I forgot to post last week, sorry about that.  I would remember, but be doing something else at the time, so I couldn't post, or I would be going to bed when I remembered or something like that.  So here's a quick update about what's been going on.

I only have 3 more days of my summer class, so that's good.  It's going ok.  I'm not really learning much, but I'm memorizing it for the daily quizzes and the exams.  I just can't wait to be done.

Other than that, not much has changed.  My mom and I went to Illinois this past weekend to visit my brother Pat and my nephew Landon.  We ended up helping Pat move from one small town to an apartment in another town that is closer to his work.  I didn't get much good sleep (I was sleeping on a very uncomfortable futon), so I'm still catching up.  My moods have still been weird, but I see my doctor next week and I'll ask her about it.  I don't think I'm depressed, and I don't think I need to go back on medication, but I just want to keep her informed.  She's a good friend of mine too, so it's nice to update her.

The biggest thing that is going on is with Jen my psychologist.  This evening we started to work through my most recent trauma, which would be the date rape that happened March of 2007.  According to her, I did really good tonight.  I pretty much had to re-live the whole thing in as much vivid detail as I could.  I started not doing so well emotionally and physically about halfway though, but I knew I just had to keep going.  The only problem with this is trying to stop dealing with it when I go home.  Jen said I have to learn something called "containment."  I have to learn how to access these thoughts and feelings while I'm in counseling at her house, or journaling about it for homework, but then learn how to put them away and "contain" them so they don't interfere with the rest of my life.  Since I used to stuff everything and I've really only been learning to feel things and deal with them for the last year or so, this is really hard for me to comprehend.  I have to stuff some things, but not others?  I've never been very good at this balancing act.

But, that's enough of a rant, so here's some prayer requests:
 - Pray that I would work hard to finish out my summer class and not slack off because it seems easy.

 - Pray that my moods would start to be more positive more of the time, and I that I would figure out what, if anything, is causing my funk.

 - Pray that I would keep working hard with Jen, and that I wouldn't shut down as it gets more difficult.  Pray that we would figure out a way for me to work through this trauma, and be able to keep moving on to the deeper issues in my past.

 - Pray that I would learn containment.  And also that beginning to drag up this stuff wouldn't have harmful effects for me.  I've already noticed an increase in not so good thoughts and feelings, but so far I'm doing okay with them and looking to truth.

I think that's all everyone.  Thanks again for caring.

No comments:

Post a Comment